Wednesday 28 May 2008

My very own Holga!!!

My girlfriend rules!!! For my birthday she got me my very own Holga! For those of you that don't know, the Holga is an amazing camera. It isn't at all digital, and that feeling of loading a film roll into a camera after so many years compares to no other! It was my birthday present, even thought it isn't my birthday until the 12th of June...but, Michelle had some making up to do...

Let's not talk about that though, because quite frankly, I am much too excited about this beautiful CMY Holga! Yes, it really is CMY (cyan, magenta and yello), three primary colours. It looks exactly like this:

Photobucket

It's a toy-like, crappy and cheap looking plastic camera with a plastic lens, and it is bigger than my face, but I have never been more excited about anything in my entire life! Except when my dad bought me a stables with pony when I turned 10. I'm joking, he actually got me a unicorn. You may wonder why I would want a camera that takes pictures like this. Well, these days, everything is so clear, so sharp, so ugly...here's hoping to unique, charming photographs of my life. I can't wait to develop my first roll!

It came with all the crap you see, PLUS (!), a filter set to do all sorts of cool things with, a really cool Holga photo album, books, batteries, film, all these little tacks and sticky things to place photographs everywhere AND she also got me this notebook kinda book, er..it's a Holga book with pictures of London landmarks and it's full of inspiration, it's almost like a diary, and you can add your own photos and it even has maps and stuff of London. I love it all!

I don't feel sad that I've opened my birthday present already because we had the most awesome fun with it last night. We tried all different kinds of shots, with me and Michelle in the same frame, at different times. You never really know how your photos are going to turn out, if they'll even turn out at all! You can bet on blurry, soft images, light leaks, all this distortion! you can take as many pictures in one frame as you like, so if you hold your camera very still, or better yet, have a tripod, you can have a photograph with two you's! Or three or four or as many of the same person in one picture...obviously, being careful not to overexpose. I'm sure I will learn all this in time, as I get to know my beautiful Holga. I'll be sure to put up photos from my first roll of 120 film.

Until next time (hopefully with Holga pictures!), adios.

P.S. Dinner last night was amazing. I made it.

3 comments:

Eat Paris said...

If anyone is interested; dinner really was amazing. Kim has discovered cous cous and marinades!! We had amazing corn on the cob cooked over an open flame and smeared with butter, chicken marinated in a sticky barbeque sauce, cous cous with onions, tomatoes, garlic and coriander and fresh salad with balsamic dressing. What can I say? The girl's a genius.

And the Holga was awesome, I have never been more willing to lie on the floor, sit on compost or crawl under bins to get photgraphed!! I am so happy my baby loves her birthday present... I should've waited 3 weeks, but I'm a sucker for those big brown eyes...

The Girl Who Fell Asleep said...

I am a genius. Thank you baby, I love my camera, I love you and I can't wait to play tonight.

Eat Paris said...

I can't wait to play either... x